I suggest you ...

when you type '@' have a list of your friends pop up

Similar to the feature in the "Spaz" twitter application, when tweeting, when the "@" symbol is typed a list (ajax handler) of your friends pops up for automatic completion of your "reply".

446 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    jeremyjfosterjeremyjfoster shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • lazyrussianlazyrussian commented  · 

This the feature I miss most from Tweetdeck. I Would love to see it implemented in the same fashion in Twhirl.

• patrickkunypatrickkuny commented  · 

Popup list does not sound appealing to me. My overall opinion of the popup would depend on the speed. If the list was too slow, I wouldn't want it. Then again, I am a new Twitter user, so I don't have many people to @reply on daily basis.

• jaredejarede commented  · 

This feature is in DestroyTwitter and I find it more annoying than beneficial most of the time.

• JasonNJasonN commented  · 

Neat idea, but could get extreme if you're following/followed (by) many hundreds or thousands.

• simonh40simonh40 commented  · 

Well it doesn't have to pop up, as long as we have auto completion (Spaz apparently, Tweetr...)

• tcurttcurt commented  · 

Some sort of autocomplete does sound nice, I was just looking to ask for a larger number of visible friends than 100 (settable in the configuration), but autocomplete means I won't have to do any scrolling - much better!

• ulisesorozcoulisesorozco commented  · 

I think this should be done in an autocomplete fashion. 'Cause as billcarroll said, 400+ names can be overwhelming and counter productive

• GangManGangMan commented  · 

I'd also love to see this feature since it's actually the last thing where I'd prefer Spaz instead of twhirl (now that there's ping.fm support). This list would have to be limited in some way but that should not be the problem. Might even be an idea to create an options dialog where you can specify how many entries you want to show up and which (fist x alphabetically or x random).

• leibrocktleibrockt commented  · 

I think there should be a separate window where you can pick a name, OR like jeremyjfoster said, have predictive text: "For instance, "@a" would bring up all your friends (or favorites) starting with that letter and would become more granular based on subsequent letters."

This feature alone would make twhirl MUCH better than other twitter clients!

• goldiekatsugoldiekatsu commented  · 

Yeah @ with context could (maybe) be ok. But with large friends lists having the whole list come up would be a mess.

• jeremyjfosterjeremyjfoster commented  · 

the initial "@" wouldn't bring up all your friends. It would bring up a context-sensitive list based on the first letter typed. For instance, "@a" would bring up all your friends (or favorites) starting with that letter and would become more granular based on subsequent letters.

• billcarrollbillcarroll commented  · 

great idea if the popup list could be limited to a favorites list. not sure I need to see 400+ names every time I type @

Feedback and Knowledge Base